13 Dec An Urgent Reminder: Register for INSPECT by January 1, 2019
Dentists who hold a Controlled Substance Registration (CSR) must register with INSPECT, Indiana’s tool to address the problem of prescription drug abuse and diversion, by January 1, 2019. Click here to create an INSPECT account before January 1, 2019. There is no cost to register.
Why do I have to register?
Passed during the 2018 legislative session to combat the growing drug epidemic in Indiana, Senate Enrolled Act (SEA) 221 changes how practitioners who hold a controlled substance registration (CSR) must use INSPECT.
Much attention has been given to a provision in the statute that will require dentists, beginning in January 2021, to begin running INSPECT reports on patients before prescribing an opioid or benzodiazepine. However, the provision requiring all practitioners who dispense or prescribe controlled substances to register with INSPECT goes into effect on January 1, 2019.
What else do I need to know?
- There is no cost to register. Dentists can create an account at: Indiana INSPECT
- Once registered for an account, dentists may perform searches of the INSPECT data base prior to prescribing opiates or other drugs to their patients. The requirement for a report prior to prescribing begins in 2021.
- The law affects all practitioners, including dentists, who hold a controlled substance registration (CSR).
- Practitioners who live in an area that lacks Internet access may apply for a waiver that exempts them from the requirement.
- To read more about SEA 221, visit the Indiana General Assembly website.